If I signed a contract for a gym and they have failed to charge me for months, can I cancel the contract?

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I signed a contract for a gym and they have failed to charge me for months, can I cancel the contract?

I signed a contract with a gym for a monthly payment. I put a deposit for the first month when I went and had not returned since. In the last 3 months – I have not been charged. I have called a number of times with no returned calls or resolution. Can I cancel my contract?

Asked on December 6, 2011 under General Practice, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately, their failure to charge you does not entitle you to terminate or cancel your contract. If they had failed to provide you some significant service, benefit, etc. that the contract provided for, that failure or breach might justify termination; but payment of dues, etc. is for *their* benefit, not yours, and you cannot use a failure or breach which affects their rights, not your own, as grounds to terminate the contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption