What are a landlord’s rights to access a unit if a tenant dies?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are a landlord’s rights to access a unit if a tenant dies?

My dad suddenly passed away about a week ago. His landlord is already showing the inside of the residence. Our dad’s personal possessions are still out everywhere as he left because we just buried him yesterday. Do we have any rights as the only surviving heirs to delay this? I mean, really no time to grieve and remove his things.

Asked on September 4, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, it does not matter whether or not you are the heirs, or have had to grieve--heirs do not inherit a rental property. A lease is a contract personal to the tenant; when he or she dies, the right to occupancy or tenancy ends and cannot be passed on. Furthermore, a landlord always has a right to show a premises to prospective tenants, even during an existing tenant's residence (though in that case, the landlord must at least provide notice of showing the apartment). What  your landlord is doing may be insensitive, but it is not illegal; the landlord is not obligaged to leave income producing property alone, and accept a loss, by delaying rerenting or showing the apartment after a tenant has passed away.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption