How best to fight a charge of armed robbery?

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How best to fight a charge of armed robbery?

My son was charged with armed robbery on the word of one man who claims to be able to ID him by his voice (which the victim claims was altered). There are a lot of inconsistencies. How do we fight this and how can I find a criminal law attorney who will help him? In St. Bernard Parish, LA.

Asked on July 26, 2011 Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Finding a lawyer: there is a lawyer finder service associated with this website; another good way to find an attorney is through your state bar association; you can also contact your county and/or city bar for referrals, too.

Fighting the case: you need to discuss this in detail with your son's defense attorney, but if the only evidence is one person, then probably you will seek to undermine the credibility of that witness--show that maybe he is biased or has an interest in the outcome (e.g. is he criminal himself, who may be looking for a reduced sentence), or perhaps that he's unreliable (does he take medication, have a hearing problem, not speak english well, etc.). Also, if you son has no priors and is a good member of society, you might also try to negotiate a plea to a lesser offense and/or reduced jail time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption