ShouldItake my landlords to court for partial back rent and moving fees if we had to move due to health and safety issues?

UPDATED: Feb 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

ShouldItake my landlords to court for partial back rent and moving fees if we had to move due to health and safety issues?

I had to move out after 3 months since Iwas not provided hot water. Also, the return from the furnace was coming into my home with lethal amounts of carbon monoxide.

Asked on February 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you feel strongly that you overpaid for the unit you were renting due to the health and safety issues you are writing about, then bringing an action against the former landlord possibly in small claims court is your right.

In order to prove your case, make sure you show prepared with the proper evidence to prove your case and damages. Such evidence would be photographs, the lease, witnesses and any reports from public agencies stating that the rental was a health problem for the occupants.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption