Should I take legal action when an employer did not cover my bill?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I take legal action when an employer did not cover my bill?

In July 2019, I cut my finger open with a bread knife at work and had to get stitches in urgent care. My employer, who has an insurance policy was supposed to cover the expensive as I do not have health insurance. I have since left but I keep receiving the bills. Nothing has been played on the employers part. I’m not sure what to do.

Asked on October 3, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is no much you can do. Your employer is NOT automatically required to cover your medical bills, even if you were hurt at work--the employer is not your insurer. They would be liable for the bill only if you can show that the employer was at fault in causing the injury, which does not sound like it was the case if you cut your own finger open with a bread knife you were using. If the employer was not being negligent or unreasonably careless in some way and the accident occured due to your own carelessness, you are responsible for your own medical bill. And even if they were at fault in some way, if they do not voluntarily pay, you'd have to sue them for the money, which may or may not be worthwhile.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption