Should I stop working while adjusting status?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I stop working while adjusting status?

Came on F1 visa and over stayed. No criminal record nor immigration proceedings. I have a valid SSN and a fake ID I have beend using it to work. I just married a US citizen and about to adjust status. As currently working with good SSN but fake ID should I stop working as of now to send my application? I need the income to pay child support from a previous marriage.

Asked on December 5, 2018 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The unauthorized employment will be forgiven if you are adjusting status on the basis of marriage to a US citizen but you will also be granted employment authorization as part of the AOS process so you can shift to that for employment purposes and then it will be valid unless you think your current employer may not like that you have a fake ID now.  That part is up to you to decide.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption