Should I sign annulments papers filed against me with a false claim?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I sign annulments papers filed against me with a false claim?

My husband and I married on April 28, 2018. Just days after, he decided he no longer wanted wanted to be married and no longer wanted to be with me. I was 38 weeks pregnant with our only daughter and I had no choice but to move back to my hometown in California to get the love and support I needed from my family.

Asked on September 13, 2018 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  I STRONGLY suggest you seek help from ana ttorney in your area.  Annulment says that the marriage never existed, which is different from divorce which says a valid marriage is over and done.  What I am worried about is the baby and her rights here.  Because a child is involved there needs to be an acknowledgement of paternity for support purposes in an annulment. Please, please get help and sign nothing until things are ironed out.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption