Should I seek legal help or sit tight regArding a car accident case?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I seek legal help or sit tight regArding a car accident case?

About 3 weeks ago, my parked car was hit by a teen with a suspended license. Furthermore, the car was not his and the owner of the car is claiming he is not family and not a friend. My parents have me on their policy but at the time, had let the coverage lapse so as a result, I must deal with the other insurance company on my own. They’ve determined the cost of repairs is more than the worth of my car so it’s been totaled. I’ve had a rental for 2 weeks and week three is coming up. It has been three weeks since the accident and they are “still investigating” indefinitely.

Asked on August 24, 2012 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you deem that the other driver was at fault--and from what you write, he most likely was--you could sue his family (since if he is a minor, his parents are liable for his wrongful acts) for any costs or losses you've incurred which are not otherwise paid for, such as by insurance. You also do not need to take at face value his insurer's position as to what they will pay for or not--his insurer is NOT your insurer, and does not owe a duty to you. It will try to pay the least it can. Therefore, from what you write, it would be good idea to meet with an attorney (many provide a free initial consultation--you can ask before meeting if a laywer does this) to see what your options are and what you might be entitled to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption