Should I put in a complaint against a pharmacy for giving me the wrong medication?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I put in a complaint against a pharmacy for giving me the wrong medication?

I called and asked they fill a prescription for my Xanex. However, when I got home I noticed that they gave me a bottle of Klonopin instead. I was previously prescribed

Klonopin a few months ago. I took 1 pill but I did not have a good reaction to it so the doctor put me back on Xanex. My previous prescription for Klonopin has no refills but they filled it anyway. Although, I did not take any, I wasn’t sure if I should put a

complaint in somewhere as Klonopin in a controlled substance.

Asked on March 22, 2016 under Personal Injury, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You certainly could put in a complaint to the CT Drug Control Division, which regulates pharmacies, since this was potentially harmful and may be something they should look into. Since you fortunately did not take any and were not harmed, there is no lawsuit (you can only sue when you suffer some injury, damages, or loss).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption