Should I pay a $60 balance or add it to my bankruptcy case?

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I pay a $60 balance or add it to my bankruptcy case?

I filed bankruptcy back 4 mont hs agoand I’m supposed to be discharged in like 2 weeks. It’s a Chapter 7 no asset case. I recently went to my local gym to join and they told me I owe a balance that needs to be paid before I join, which I didn’t know I owed them a past balance. I thought everything was fine because a full credit report was run when I filed bankruptcy and there was nothing on there about me owing the gym money. Anyway, I asked why it wasn’t on my credit and they said they don’t report membership balances to the credit bureaus. Can I just pay the $60 or should I add it to my case?

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You could either pay the $60 balance or you could file an amendment to your bankruptcy and add the creditor.  It would be advisable to pay the balance since it is a nominal amount because if you file an amendment to your bankrupty to add this creditor, you will have to pay a court filing fee. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption