Should I include my car in my bankruptcy if I just purchased it but have not filed the bankruptcy paperwork yet?

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 16, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I include my car in my bankruptcy if I just purchased it but have not filed the bankruptcy paperwork yet?

Since it takes 3 months for the bankruptcy to be discharged would I be able to use the car for those 3 months if I make the payments on it and then when the bankruptcy is discharged give the car up to the bank? Does this make sense? Is it legal? Also, can the bank I purchased the car from make me put in a GPS system? Is it legal if I don’t want to be tracked?

Asked on October 16, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Nevada


Greg Wiley / Law Office of Greg Wiley PLLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

This is something you should discuss with your bankruptcy attorney. You will not find an attoreny on here willing to tell you how to game the system.  Your bankruptcy attorney is the best to tell you how to proceed.  Surrendering a car is your decision but you shouldn't be trying to keep someone else's property for your own use without willing to compensate them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption