Should I hire an attorney for a DUI?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I hire an attorney for a DUI?

I live in PA where the legal bac is .08 and I got stopped for speeding over 25 mph when tested for I got a BAC of .095 I’m currently 12 weeks pregnant and have to many doctors appointments and I don’t want to lose my license. What should I do?

Asked on December 8, 2017 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

*Definitely* hire an attorney. The only way to effectively fight a DUI is on fairly technical grounds: showing one or more of--
1) The officer had no grounds to pull you over in the first place;
2) The officer did not properly administer any field sobriety test;
3) Any breath- or blood-test, or the equipment used, was flawed;
4) There was no warrant or consent for a blood test (no consent is need for a breath test); 
5) Etc.
Since fighting DUI is based on showing a flaw in the stop or evidence, an attorney, who knows the rules of court and rules of evidence, has a *much* better chance of being able to successfully defend you than you have.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption