Should I give a recorded statement to the police if I was a victim of an assault?

UPDATED: Nov 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I give a recorded statement to the police if I was a victim of an assault?

I was a victim in an assault last weekend. In short, I suffered numerous kicks to the face resulting in a fractured nose, fractured, cheek, and multiple contusions and lacerations. The detective called me asking if I wished to come in and give a recorded statement, although not mandatory. Should I?

Asked on November 17, 2011 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The decision is up to you to voluntarily come to the police station for a voluntary interview and recording about the assault. Personally, if I was assaulted and injured the way you were, I would cooperate every way I could with law enforcement to assist in the apprehension and the conviction of the person who harmed me.

If you have concerns about the recorded statement request and any negative outcome to you by the assailant, you really should speak with the detective about the concerns that you may have in the criminal process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption