should I get legal advice if my son was hit by a drunk driver and didn’t recive injury but his truck was totaled

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

should I get legal advice if my son was hit by a drunk driver and didn’t recive injury but his truck was totaled

My son was pulling out of a drive way
eased out a little more to look right
before pulling out and saw a vechhile
coming he went to back up and before
he could he was hit.The person driving
the truck didn’t see him and struck
him.The driver was drunk and under
age and fleed the scene had to be
brought back was arrest for dui and
fleeing the scence.

Asked on April 27, 2017 under Accident Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your son's only recourse is to sue the drunk driver for negligence since the at-fault party is not responding to the insurance company.  Your son's damages (monetary compensation he is seeking in the lawsuit) would be the value of his vehicle.
If your son is a minor, you will need to be appointed guardian ad litem to file a lawsuit on his behalf because a minor cannot file a lawsuit himself.
After obtaining a court judgment against the drunk driver, the judgment can be enforced with a wage garnishment.  Since the drunk driver is under age, if he is a minor, his parents can be sued and should be named as defendants in the lawsuit.
You may have difficulty finding an attorney to represent your son because your son was not injured in the accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption