What should be done regarding a swing set that fell on my son?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should be done regarding a swing set that fell on my son?

My younger son was at the sitters and when I went to pick him up. My older son, who is 7, got on the sitter’s swing set and the whole swing set fell on my son. When it fell it also fell on my sitter’s car and caused a dent on it, which I said I would pay because I felt bad that happened. However, now she saying it going to be $700 for a dealer to fix it. I asked if she could get another estimate but she refused. My son complained his leg hurting after the swing set fell on him as well Should I be liable for her car since her swing set falling on my son? Also, is it fair for me to ask for a second estimate from another auto body shop?

Asked on March 16, 2017 under Personal Injury, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are not liable for damage to the sitter's car because the sitter's swing set fell.
You can file a personal injury claim on behalf of your son against the homeowner's insurance of your sitter.
When your son completes his medical treatment and is released by the doctor, obtain your son's medical bills and medical reports.  His personal injury claim filed with the sitter's homeowner's insurance carrier should include those items.
Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement. The medical reports will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  If the case is settled with the homeowner's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.
If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the homeowner's insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit on behalf of your son against the sitter based on premises liability.  You will need to be appointed guardian ad litem to file a lawsuit on behalf of your son because he is a minor.
If the case is NOT settled, the lawsuit on behalf of your son against the sitter for premises liability must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or your son will lose his rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption