ShouldI be concerned about statue of limitations or adverse possession, if I let me neighbors used our shared driveway easement?

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

ShouldI be concerned about statue of limitations or adverse possession, if I let me neighbors used our shared driveway easement?

We have residential house with shared driveway. Neighbors park in driveway because they can’t park in the back due to a swimming pool in the back year. And our backyard is not paved for parking. I’m OK with neighborhoods parking there since we rent out to tenants who do not have car. Occasionally, drive way is shared when needed. My concern is adverse possession if this goes on for an extended period of time.

Asked on October 17, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

To obtain a right to have one's property through adverse possession, the property taxes for the used property must be paid. In your case this does not seem to be an issue but the neighbor's use of the shared driveway could possibly result in a claim for a prescriptive easement if certain stepos are not taken care of.

A defense to a prescriptive easement claim is that the use of one's property was permissively given. In your situation if you allowed your neighbors permission to use your driveway, technically their use would not result in a prescriptive eassment claim. To safguard your interests you should have an attorney experienced in real estate draft up a "license agreement" between you and your neighbors stating that their use of your property is permissive. This agreement needs to be dated and signed by you and a copy kept in a safe place.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption