How can I ask for a postponement in a criminal proceeding so that I can obtain legal counsel?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I ask for a postponement in a criminal proceeding so that I can obtain legal counsel?

I have a criminal case that is 5 years old. I didn’t know I had a warrant until I tried for a position at my job and they did a background check. I went to Safe Surrender on 06/25, and they arranged for me to have a new court date, which is today. I went to apply for a Public Defender but I was told after the fact that they only give you 10 (business days) to apply. That was impossible due to the recent holiday. And the website that I was given hasn’t been updated supplying this vital information. I would like representation.

Asked on July 13, 2010 under Criminal Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Generally, defendants are given the most leeway by the court when it comes to adjourning a case.  The Prosecutors of a crime are the ones that are generally "under the gun" if you will excuse the pun, with complying with statutory requirementss as to prosecuting the matter and providing discovery, etc., so that the case is not dismissed.  And generally states have a state funded program for providing court appointed attorneys (in New York they are called 18B attorneys).  When you get before the Judge he or she should ask you all the relevant questions about having an attorney or having the court appoint one.  If you do not want a court appointed attorney (I should state if you qualify for a court appointed attorney) then ask the court for an adjournment to retain one.  But my concern is if they ask for bail.  Ask to be released on your own recognizance, especially since you turned yourself in.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption