Should I apply to a marriage visa or should I enter with my tourist’s visa and apply for the green card in the US?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I apply to a marriage visa or should I enter with my tourist’s visa and apply for the green card in the US?

I am a Dominican Republic Citizen who lived in the US while pursuing a MA with a J1 visa. During my stay I got married with an American citizen. I left the US because I am subject to the two years home presence requirement. Right now I am trying to get a non-objection waiver from my country. I have a tourist visa (since I was 7 years old). If the waiver is approved, I wonder if I can enter with my tourist visa (which have multiple entries) and then apply to the green card or if it is better to apply for a marriage visa. Which option is better? Which one is faster?

Asked on January 4, 2012 under Immigration Law, Michigan


Gene Meltser, Esq. / BIRG & MELTSER

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

File the Alien Relative Petition as soon as you can - no need to wait for the waiver. It takes time to go through the CIS and NVC, so by the time your petition gets to the consulate your waiver might be done already

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption