Should I appeal the sentencing I received for an impaired driving?

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I appeal the sentencing I received for an impaired driving?

I do have a prior criminal record which are all misdemeanors but this is my first alcohol offense other than MIP. I received 4 days in jail, 9 months probation, AA 3 times a week, $900 in fines, and 9 months probation. After some research, it seems my punishment is a little harsher than most people who get OWI charges. I’m wondering if I should appeal this or did I get a fair sentencing?

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Criminal Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether you make the final decision upon appealing the sentence you received as a result of your conviction for the alcohol related offense you should do so after you consult with a criminal defense attorney who specializes in criminal appeals.

You need to be aware that sentencing for convictions are based upon state guidelines. If your sentence falls within your state guidlines, then the chances for a successful appeal is quite remote. Appeals are also a costly venture.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption