Should I appeal an unemployment hearing decision?

UPDATED: May 21, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 21, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I appeal an unemployment hearing decision?

I lost an unemployment hearing based on the fact findings that I violated my employer’s code of ethics which constituted grounds for immediate dismissal. They are claiming that I was discharged for “wilful misconduct”. However, I was never told or given a document or company guide book that states that if I was to close their restaurant 8 minutes early that I would be immediately dismissed. Should I appeal the decision and how?

Asked on May 21, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You should have gotten a written decision, which you should take to an employment and labor attorney in your area, for advice based on all the facts of your case.  One place to find qualified lawyers is our website,

The time for appealing decisions like this is usually very short, so please don't wait to at least talk to a lawyer to see if this worth doing;  even if the lawyer isn't willing to take the case, he or she should be able to tell you where to find out the details of how to do it yourself, since the procedure is different in each state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption