Should I agree to arbitration in the case of a problem with my credit card company?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Should I agree to arbitration in the case of a problem with my credit card company?

My credit cart company has sent me a change in our agreement that says if I do not object in writing, I will forever forfeit my right to sue an by default agree to arbitration in case of a problem with the company. What would you recommend?

Asked on November 5, 2016 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you have the option to object in writing, do so--arbitration is NOT in your interest.
1) Studies have shown that arbitration awards tend to be more favorable to big companies than judgments in court--that's why they want to arbitrate: arbitration is better for them.
2) It's also better for them because you can't appeal arbitration awards as a general matter, so if you get a bad award, you're stuck with it.
3) Arbitration can cost as much  as a lawsuit, so it doesn't save you anything.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption