Shoplifting and a minor

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Shoplifting and a minor

My daughter was stopped at a store accused of shoplifting. She was taken into a back room and was made to fill out papers without letting her try to call me as they took her phone. When I got to the store, they refused to let me see the papers that she filled out and also refused to let me see the video of her stealing. However, they said that they found the merchandise on the floor. Also, today I received a letter in mail demanding $200. What do I do now?

Asked on July 29, 2019 under Criminal Law, Alabama


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you pay the amount demanded by the deadline, that should end the matter without involvement of law enforcement. If the amount demanded is not paid by the deadline, the store might refer the matter to the police.
The letter you received should explain everything.
Your child may be banned from the store.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption