UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


About a month or 2 ago I stole a object
from a store it cost exactly 150 now
while I was being chased I was shot at
but was uninjured and I manages to get
away now recently I have had bad luck
and have been semi caught they found
out my identity but have not made an
arrest I have no other criminal charges
on my record I was just wondering if I
could press charges on the shop owner
for attempted murder or somehow use it
as leverage

Asked on January 24, 2018 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Do not approach the shop owner about dropping the charges.  If you do, law enforcement could construe this a "witness tampering" which is a felony offense....and much more serious than the misdemeanor you are currently facing.  If you want to work something out with the shop owner, hire an attorney for the limited purposes of conveying offers and negotiating a deal.  If the attorney is the one doing the conveying, then it is considered "negotiations," not witness tampering.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption