What are my options regarding sexual harassment by a co-worker?

UPDATED: Apr 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options regarding sexual harassment by a co-worker?

I am 18 yrs old and I gave a fellow co-worker my phone number. We never had any type of relationship. Now he won’t leave me alone. He sends me sexual texts outside of work but I feel uncomfortable being around him and unsafe when I’m at work. I told a supervisor about his texts but says they’re unable to help me due to the texts taking place outside of work. What are my options?

Asked on April 28, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First, while it is true that employers have less control over what workers do after hours than during, this may be a case where, since you have put them on notice of the situation, that they do need to take some action--e.g. warn him that disciplinary action will be taken if this continues. You could try contacting your state or the federal dept. of labor or the federal EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) to see whether this is a situation where the employer could or should take action.

However, even if the employer does something, that still doesn't necessarily fully resolve the situation, since he *is* doing this outside of work--and may he not be concerned about work consequences anyway. You may wish to speak to the police about possibly getting a retraining order of some kind against him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption