What are a tenant’s rights if a landlord fails to disclose that a sex offender also lives in their building?

UPDATED: Apr 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are a tenant’s rights if a landlord fails to disclose that a sex offender also lives in their building?

While we were working on renting our place, my landlord did not notify me that they had just rented the upstairs to a sex offender. We had asked them about the neighborhood and they told us it was a quiet with good neighbors. We have been here almost 2 months and just found out the apartment above us is rented to a sex offender who’s charged with sexual assault of a minor under 16. I have a small child myself and have seen him trying to talk with her (I never let her outside alone, but this concerns me because she’s learning to open doors). Do I have any legal rights here?

Asked on April 18, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Idaho


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

All states have some type of law based upon Megan's Law (the law that requires the state to register individuals convicted of sex crimes against children and to make that information available to the public, typically on-line).  In that regard, most states require landlords to provide notice and information in the lease about the existence of the state's registry or data base of sex offenders. In some states, landlords are required to disclose whether any sex-offenders live in the area if the landlord has actual knowledge that an offender lives near the leased premises.

At this point, you should directly contact a tenant's rights organization or attorney that specializes in landlord tenant matters.  They can best advise you as to your rights in this situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption