Several web based businesses under one corporate name

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Several web based businesses under one corporate name

Can several .com businesses (with different web addresses) be set up under one S Corporation?

Asked on July 1, 2009 under Business Law, New York


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area of the law.  The short answer is YES.  You can have one company own different web address.  The question is whether you practically want that.  The advantage of keeping them separate is mainly liability purposes.  For instance, if one of the .com companies gest sued and loses, the plaintiff can go after the profits made by the company for all the different .com businesses.  If however, all the busiensses are incorporated separately, then the Plaintiff/creditor can only seek money from that one entity.  I usually advise my clients to keep things separate for liability purposes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption