Settlement for home insurance claim

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Settlement for home insurance claim

Hi. I hired a lawyer for a denied home
insurance claim. It was agreed he
would get 20. The settlement was for
24,0000. The settlement papers stated
that I would be given 11000 and he
would get 11350. There was also
some other names listed who would
receive the rest. I am enraged. Is this

Asked on October 12, 2017 under Insurance Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The lawyer is only entitled to that portion which he and you agreed (e.g. in the retainer agreement) he would get. If the agreement was he'd get 20%, that's all he's entitled to. Such agreements are contracts and are fully enforceable.
No one else can get any portion of the settlement unless you agree to give it to them; and your agreement would have to be voluntary. Explain to your attorney that you intend to hold him to the agreement and are not authorizing anyone else to get payments from your settlement--i.e. the lawyer gets 20%, you get the other 80%. If he will not honor that, you may need to sue your own attorney, if he tries to divert money from you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption