If my father deeded property t me, does my sister have any rights to it?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father deeded property t me, does my sister have any rights to it?

I have 3 sisters and I am the only son for my father. He made a settlement deed to me of his own self-acquired property without their knowledge. Can my sisters have rights to claim the property?

Asked on June 26, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

As a general matter, no: a property owner may transfer his property to whomever he wants, and no law requires a parent to treat his/her children equally or fairly.
If there is evidence your father was mentally incompetent when he did this, or that your coerced/threatened him into doing it, or that the deed was forged or is the product of fraud, they may be able to have it voiced (undone) on that basis--that still will not give them the propery but would prevent you from getting it via this deed. They would have to sue, have evidence of their allegations, and convince a judge to make this happen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption