How do I know if my termination was legal?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I know if my termination was legal?

My employer terminated my employment citing ‘performance not satisfactory’. My employment is at will. The performance rating was not formally discussed with me. However I was employed with firm for 4 years, and the firm is reducing highly paid US employees, utilizing offshore workers / sponsoring visas for lower paid workers to replace the US based employees, due to the new immigration restrictions.

– Murali

732 619 7401

Asked on June 22, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Absent some form of legally actionable discrimination, a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. However, this does not cover your situation as race, religion, age, disability are not involved here and those are the reasons for finding such discrimination. Therefore, unless this action violates the terms of a union agreement or employmment contract, it is legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption