Can I legally sell/dispose of a piece of equipment left on inherited property?

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I legally sell/dispose of a piece of equipment left on inherited property?

The property with home was willed to me. The bulldozer was not on the first or final inventory list of the estate. Do I have the right to dispose or sell it? The estate is now closed. I need to know if I can legally get rid of it and not have to ask all the heirs.

Asked on August 15, 2011 Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the real property you inherited came with a bulldozer on site and you are now record owner of the parcel, you now own the bulldozer as well. You have every right to dispose or sell the bulldozer that was on the property when title was placed in you name even though it was not listed in the estate's asset inventory.

If you are not aware, most construction or farm equipment such as tractors, discs, harrows, combines do not come with registered title from my experience.

If you decide to sell or give away the bulldozer, I recommend that you draft up a simple "bill of sale" to the new owner describing the item with its make, model, and serial number. Date and sign the "bill of sale" stating the amount of the sales price if applicable. Keep a copy of the document for future reference.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption