selling home when listing expired

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

selling home when listing expired

i would like to sell my home that the listing has expired on, the person that
wants to purchase it never saw the home through the realtor or any realtor. the
buyer use to rent the home several years ago and contacted us on there own. am i
liable to pay the realtor commission or can i be sued by the broker?

Asked on April 4, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the potential buyer had independent knowledge of the home (as you indicate), never used the realtor or found out about it through the realtor, and only approached you about purchasing the home after the contract with the realtor expired, you should not have to pay any realtor fees or commission. (Check the exact terms of your agreement with the realtor to be sure.) Realtors are entitled to fees when the contract says they are, or when they did in fact bring a buyer to a seller. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption