Selling family land, and relative refuses to answer any communicative.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Selling family land, and relative refuses to answer any communicative.

About 4 years ago, my mother passed away, and my brother/I inherited land. We have 1 half-brother, who still has rights to 01/18 of the land. The executor for my mother’s estate had been in communication with this half-brother. We retained approval for the sale of the land, and the title company sent the half-brother the appropriate paperwork. The half-brother signed/notarized the paperwork, and emailed the paperwork back. The issue is that the title company needs to the originals not email copies. The half-brother has now gone radio-silent. He is refusing all and any communication from myself, my brother, executor, title company, etc. What legal recourse do I have? We have already missed 2 closing/sales because of this half-brother. He will be getting a check for 01/18 of the land, but there is bad blood between him and my deceased-father, so this half-brother has been very uncooperative since my mother’s passing.

Asked on April 9, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Set the matter for a hearing before the probate court and send the brother notice.  If the brother appears....get his signatures.  If he does not appear, then ask the court for permission to sell the house without his consent or signature.  This will be enough for most title companies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption