What are the laws regarding a sellers non-disclosure of an unsafe condition and an on-going lawsuit?

UPDATED: Apr 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are the laws regarding a sellers non-disclosure of an unsafe condition and an on-going lawsuit?

We bought a house 6 months ago and our water is terrible. We asked the neighbors about it and they said that the previous owners and them have a lawsuit against the city for contaminated water from the highway. Also, the house is 2 years old and we were told everything was new but the well is 15 or more years old. The previous owners were also the builders of the house. It’s going to be impossible to resale this house. What can we do?

Asked on April 20, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should consult with a real estate attorney because you may have legal recourse against them. Fraud is the knowing misrepresentation, or lying about, material (or important) facts; stating that the well was new when it was old may have been a misrepresentation. Fraud can also be in some cases the deliberate omission of material facts when there is a duty to disclose--and in this situation, sellers may have had a duty to disclose a lawsuit regarding contaminated water which they clearly knew of, since they were a party to it. In a situation like this, there is strong likelihood the sellers coommitted fraud.

If you have a cause of action for, say, fraud, then you could look to recover some or all of: 1) the dimunition in value--house as is vs. house as you thought you bought it; (2) cost to remediate--it may be possible to deal with situation (even if it's expensive), such as with connecting to town water, drilling a new well, and/or some kind of filtration; and/or (3) medical costs, if you or your family need any testing or treatment owing to contamination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption