Seeking Full Custody

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Seeking Full Custody

My wife and I are about to finalize our dissolution. Currently I have joint custody over our 3 kids with my wife but I would like to seek full custody until my wife is better able to parent. Details aside, if I had the support of her

family which I do as character witnesses do I have a good chance of being granted full custody?

Asked on July 30, 2019 under Family Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Character witnesses help, but not all that much: when you get down to it, it's the opinion of people as to what they personally think of you, which often comes down to likeability as much as anything else. What you would need to get full custody is evidence that your wife is an unfit parent--e.g. evidence of alcoholism or drug abuse; evidence she has neglected the children or struck/abused them; evidence that she has or is committing crimes or associates with (e.g. a new boyfriend) criminals; evidence of a mental illness; etc. Without such evidence of unfitness, you are unlikely to get full custody. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption