How to seek reimbursement for repairs to a home?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to seek reimbursement for repairs to a home?

About 4 months ago, my boyfriend, kids and I were asked by my aunts to live in my deceased grandparent’s home. The deal was that we could stay there rent free as long as we paid the property taxes. For the next 3 months, we made repairs worth thousands of dollars (the house was left in an unlivable condition which is why we made repairs). We moved in on the1 st of last month and since then we have made repair after repair after repair. They told us they would exterminate, fix the roof, A/C (which they didn’t do) and pay us for repairs. We received a total of $800 which isn’t near what we’ve spent.

Asked on August 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If there was an agreement that you would be reimbursed for the cost of any repairs you made, then you can enforce that agreement, including in court (by a lawsuit for breach of contract--even if it was an oral or verbal contract), if need be.

But there was no agreement made *in advance*--that is, before you did the work--that you would be reimbursed, you most likely have no recourse. The law does not let you do work or make improvements which no one asked for and no one agreed to pay for, then charge someone for them after the fact. Without an agreement, there is no basis to seek payment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption