Can i accept outside employment?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i accept outside employment?

I’m a licensed private security officer and am currently employed by a private security company, however currently they do not have any contracts near my location. Would I be able to take on my own assignments? For example, could I be a courtesy officer for my apartment complex or do security for a close friends wedding, etc.

Asked on July 5, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Legally, you can do this: the law does not prevent a person from moonlighting, freelancing, having a second job, etc. It is possible that your employer has a policy against this, and if they do, it is legal--the law lets employers set policies or rules for its workers, and those can be more restrictive than the law's own requirements. If your employer has a policy banning outside employment, you'd have to comply or risk getting fired; but if they don't have a policy, you can do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption