What can I do if my security deposit is not being refunded?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my security deposit is not being refunded?

I signed a lease for an apartment with

Asked on August 30, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Rhode Island


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, when B bought the property, they bought it subject to the lease with prior owner, A: so the leases carried over, and both parties, new owner B and the tenant, are bound by the lease. If  the tenant terminated the lease without providing the required notice, then the tenant would be responsible or liable for rent for the whole notice period (the length of time he/she should have provided notice); if that amount of rent equals or exceeds the security deposit (either in and of itself, or together with any other amounts, such as as costs for damage or repairs, owed the landlord), the landlord does not have to return any part of the deposit.
It doesn't matter if the reason why you could not provide adequate notice was "certain life events": that is not the landlord's responsibility or fault, and is not a defense to your obligations under the lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption