Could my backpack legally be searched for no reason ifI was just walking down the street?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Could my backpack legally be searched for no reason ifI was just walking down the street?

I was walking down the street and a police officer stopped me. He asked me what I was doing and I said I’m going for a walk. He said, “People usually go for walks around here when they want to smoke.” He proceeded to get out of his car and search my bag. He found a small bag of weed and some alcohol in my backpack. They didn’t press charges but they reported it to my college and there is a possibility that I might get kicked off campus for this. I wasn’t on campus when this happened and it wasn’t campus police who searched me. I was sober when this happened and was with 2 other kids at 10:30 pm.

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There has to be what is called

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption