SDG&E Settles 2007 California Wildfire Claims For $686M; Other Settlements Likely

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

California’s San Diego Gas & Electric Company (SDG&E), along with parent company Sempra Energy, have agreed to settle wildfire claims with insurance companies for approximately $686 million. The utility companies say that other settlements relating to the 2007 fires that destroyed hundreds of thousands of acres of land, thousands of homes and killed and injured several people are likely in the near future.

Insurance company settlements

Although the companies are not admitting fault, they have agreed to settle insurance claims for $686 million. Company power lines were blamed for starting or contributing to the 2007 California wildfires. The companies say that the settlement involves about 75 percent of the claims they’ve received and that they hope to resolve the remaining 25 percent in the very near future.

Homeowners continue to rebuild

Even though the fires occurred two years ago and have likely dropped off of most people’s radar, many homeowners continue to rebuild and put their lives back together. That’s not an easy task when you’ve lost everything.

For many homeowners, the fires may have been their first experience dealing with insurance companies. While some insurance companies did well by their policyholders and paid claims promptly, many did not and homeowners likely had to file lawsuits against them for bad faith insurance practices.

Know what your policy covers

Although you can’t control an insurer’s claims practices, you can empower yourself in the process by knowing what your policy covers. In most cases, it’s fairly straight forward. Homeowners’ fire insurance policies generally cover:

  1. your dwelling (the house itself);
  2. other structures on the property such as garages, sheds or pool houses;
  3. personal property such as bicycles, cash, collectibles, computers, jewelry, silverware, stocks and securities. However, it’s important to realize that you’re likely to receive a standard amount for each item unless that item is specifically valued and listed in your policy;
  4. loss of use / additional living expense, which provides coverage for additional expenses incurred over and above your normal cost of living – such as the cost of staying in temporary housing, buying clothing and food and boarding pets when your home is being repaired or rebuilt.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption