Scratched car

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Scratched car

I scratched a car and left a post it with my number and submitted a police report since I couldn’t find the owner. It’s pouring down rain though, and after I left I got worried about the note and went back about 5 minutes later and the guy had gone. He still hasn’t called me and it’s been a couple hours. Is there anything else that I can do or is it just a waiting game?

Asked on December 19, 2017 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There really isn't anything you can prospectively or affirmatively do. All you can do is wait to see if he (or his insurer, if he submitted a claim) contact you, then decide if you will pay any amount they seek, try to negotiate a different amount, or refuse to pay, forcing them to sue you. (Remember: the driver and/or his insurer is only legally entitled to an amount of money equal to the reasonable cost to fix--i.e. repaint, buff, etc.--the damage you actually did.) You've done what you should have: now it's up to the other side.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption