Santa Barbara Fires Force 30,000 To Evacuate & Evaluate Homeowners Insurance Coverage

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

The Santa Barbara California fires have already destroyed approximately 75 homes and forced over 30,000 residents to evacuate. While safety is clearly the first priority, many residents are also evaluating their homeowners insurance policies and wondering what is covered.

California’s fire season begins early

Although the State of California budgets for its fire season to begin around June 15th, it seems to have started earlier this year with the fires burning in Santa Barbara. However, fire experts say that the “fire season” isn’t really dictated by a specific date, but on the climate conditions that exist. In fact, some say that California’s fire season now runs from January 1st to December 31st. Regardless of when the season begins, homeowners should always be aware of what their fire policies cover.

Fire insurance policies: What do they cover?

Fire insurance policies generally have four areas of coverage. Here’s a quick summary of each area:

  1. Dwelling. This is your house, or the actual dwelling in which you live.
  2. Other structures. These are the other structures on your property that are not part of your “dwelling” such as a garage, shed or pool house.
  3. Personal property. Your personal property items that are located inside your dwelling or other structures such as furniture, paintings, jewelry and clothing. Unless those items are specifically valued and listed in your homeowners’ policy, you’re likely to receive a ‘standard’ amount for each item. Every policy differs depending upon the insurer, but these are some common examples:
    • Bicycles: $1,000 per bike, $2,500 total
    • Cash: $200
    • Collectibles: $100
    • Compact discs and electronic games: $1,000
    • Home computers: $5,000
    • Jewelry, watches and furs: $1,500 per item, $2,500 total
    • Silverware, tea sets and trophies: $2,500
    • Stock, securities and manuscripts: $1,000
  4. Loss of use / additional living expense. This is one part of the policy that is often overlooked. It provides coverage for additional expenses incurred over and above your normal cost of living – such as the cost of staying in temporary housing, buying clothing and food and boarding pets when your home is being repaired or rebuilt.

Watch for bad faith insurance practices

While some insurers do a good job at processing fire insurance claims, others do not. If your insurance company acts in bad faith (denying, delaying or acting unreasonably) with regard to your valid claim and you simply can’t resolve the matter, make sure to contact an experienced

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption