Salary verification

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Salary verification

For a recent job interview, I inflated my salary to the recruiter. Now that I have the official offer, they will also be conducting the standard background check on me. Will the company be able to verify salary information to see if there is a discrepancy in my reported and actual salaries?

Asked on January 19, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

They *can* legally try to verify it: they may legally call your prior employer and ask them what the salary was (of course, even if they do, they can't make the former employer answer, if the former employer chooses to not); or they could require you to bring in a pay stub or W-2 or other proof of prior salary. If they do and find out that you lied, they could terminate you for cause and/or simply not start you, if you did not start working yet, since you committed fraud (lied about something material or important, to get them to employ you).
Whether they *will* or not is impossible to say: some companies and some HR departments verify salary, some do not. My wife is in HR and has worked for three corporate ad/communications firms; only one of those three verified salary in this way, for example.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption