Roommate refuses to pay.

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Roommate refuses to pay.

My roommate just moved out without paying July rent (our lease is up July 31st). She is now saying she didn’t sign the lease. I did not either but both our names are on the lease as lessees. She says she didn’t know her name was put on it (I told her before she moved in and she paid a deposit). Is she still responsible for her share of the rent?

Asked on June 29, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


Christopher Vaughn-Martel / VAUGHN-MARTEL LAW

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If you did not execute a valid Lease Agreement, then you likely have a month-to-month tenancy-at-will.  If that is the case, then both tenant and landlord can terminate the tenancy by giving one month's notice (but not less than 30 days).  If your roommate did not provide one month notice that she was moving out, she is responsible for her share of the July rent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption