If my roommate moved out without notice, does he owe rent?

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my roommate moved out without notice, does he owe rent?

I rent a house from my parents with some friends. We all agreed to split the rent equally among the 5 of us though there were no legal documents involved, just a verbal agreement. If things got rocky and one of the roommates moved out at the beginning of the month without any notice, does that roommate still owe rent for the month or do the other roommates need to make up his share?

Asked on July 1, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Always a little shakey when the landlord is close to home as they say.  If there is no lease and the agreement is a verbal agreement they have to give you 30 days notice to vacate.  They are considered a month to month tenant.  So yes, they appear to owe the money.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption