Roommate damaged property

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Roommate damaged property

My roommate and her grandkids damaged my
property and the apartment. She also owes me
money for electric bill. Can I sue her for the
damage to my property and the unpaid electric
bill? I live in South Carolina.

Asked on March 6, 2018 under Real Estate Law, District of Columbia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can sue any person who damages your personal property or who owes you money pursuant to some agreement (e.g. an agreement that she would pay a share of electric). If the grandchildren were minors and were visiting her or living with her (e.g. she brought them into the unit; was supervising and responsible for them), she is liable for any damage they did--though if the grandchildren were adults, you'd have to sue them personally for any damage they did.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption