I we were ripped off by a contractor and he put a lien on our property, what do we do now?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I we were ripped off by a contractor and he put a lien on our property, what do we do now?

We attempted mediation with this man and his business through the Attorney General’s office of both DE where the property in question is and PA where he resides. He responded to this with a scathing rebuke, including slander claims, and then put a mechanic’s lien on the property. Is a real estate lawyer who we need to retain?

Asked on January 9, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Delaware


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, not a real estate lawyer: you want a litigator--someone who goes to court to bring or defend lawsuits. You want to file a multi-faceted lawsuit against him: 
1) Sue him for any compensation due to the work, or lack thereof, he did--such as if he billed you for work not done, or did work so shabby you had to pay someone to redo it;
2) Sue him for his slander/defamaton; and
3) Sue for an order requiring him to remove the lien.
And possibly also--depending on the laws in your state--sue him for your legal fees, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption