Rights of tenant if taking a job outside of the country during a lease term.

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Rights of tenant if taking a job outside of the country during a lease term.

In my current lease, it says if I relocate to a job overseas with the current employer I had when I signed the lease then I can be released from the lease, but must pay to the last day of the month I made notice and also provide 1 months rent thereafter. It does not say however, if the employer I accept the job from is different then the one I signed the lease, which would then leave the assumption that they wouldn’t want to release me from the lease. However, I am trying to help the owner by advertising to find a tenant and to have the tenant sign a new lease and not takeover mine.

Asked on June 1, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Basically, you are legally obligated for the rent until the end of your lease term.  You changed employers and that's not covered by the terms of your lease.  You are however, doing all of the right things - you spoke with your landlord upfront and you are trying to find a new tenant. 

You should note, while it is good that you are looking for a new tenant, your landord is under a legal duty to do so - it's called "mitigation of damages".  If he/she doesn't  make a good faith attempt to find a replacement tenant you are off the hook as far as liability for further rent payments.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption