Do I have a right to rescind an agreemnt regarding my investing in a business?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a right to rescind an agreemnt regarding my investing in a business?

I recently invested into a business out of state. I wrote a check and was added to the business checking account 5 days ago. However, after I was able to see the bank account online, it is not at all what he told me it was. He said the business grossed 40K in 2 months, yet the most I see is 16K. How long do I have to back out of this deal and get my money back and how do I go about doing this from another state?

Asked on September 19, 2018 under Business Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If he lied about something material, or important, to get you to invest, such as the business's gross revenue, that would be fraud; fraud provides grounds to rescind, or undo, an agreement. So legally, you may well be entitled to get you money back, especially since his later actions reinforce the existence of fraud and may also constitute conversion, a form of theft: "converting" money entrusted to someone for a certain purpose (e.g. a business) to one's own personal use (putting it into his personal account).
That's the good news: what you describe seems to establsh that you have enforceable rights. The bad news is, there is no one else who will enforce you rights for you: you have to enforce them yourself. That means you will have to file a lawsuit against the business andperson controlling it. You should be able to file in your own state/county, but will have to serve on the business and him in their state, which is more complicated and costly; and if he simply ignores the suit, you will win, but then have to go through collections efforts (trying to put a lien on real estate or seize personal property or money from bank accounts, etc.), which also can be costly and complicated.
You don't indicate how much money is involved. If it's enough to justify the cost of a lawyer, hire one to help. if it's not, you may wish to, as a practical matter, write the money off.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption