Right of Way

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Right of Way

So I have an interesting situation. I have an easement to use my neighbors driveway to access my property. I have a concrete driveway on the right hand side of my house and a gravel driveway on the other side of my house. My neighbor wants to put up a fence going across the right of way. The problem is with this fence I wont be able to access the gravel driveway on the left hand side of my house without driving through my front yard. What are my options? I tried talking to my neighbor but he got very belligerent and nasty at me stating he owns the driveway and he can put a gate up if he wants. I tried to compromise and it went nowhere. I understand he can put a gate up but it won’t let me access the left hand side of my house without tearing up my front yard.

Asked on February 12, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You write that you have an easement. If you actually do have an easement--it is on the deed to your home--you can enforce that easement in court: if the neighbor tries to obstruct it, file a legal action (lawsuit) in chancery court (a part or division of county court) requesting a declaratory judgment (court determination) confirming the easement and an injunction (court order) barring the obstruction. This kind of a lawsuit is more complex than, say, a claim for monetary compensation in small claims court and you'd likely want to hire an attorney to help you.
If it's not an actual easement on the deed, but is just permission that you've had over the years to use the right of way, then the neighbor can likely withdraw it and put up the fence. Because you *can* access your back driveway over your front yard, it is not absolutely vital (even if it is desirable) to use the neighbor's property; therefore, if you did not aready have an actual easement, a court would most likely not grant one now (which is what you'd need, if there is no existing easement--you'd need the court to grant or create one), since such easements by necessity are only granted when absolutely necessary: i.e. when there is no way to access otherwise "landlocked" property except over a neighbor's property. They are not granted just to allow a property owner to avoid having to modifiy (e.g. connect the driverways) of his own property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption