What to do if I go to work and do my job but I’m being mistreated?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I go to work and do my job but I’m being mistreated?

I went to my general manager with a complaint about my district manager in confidence, however my GM then showed my DM my email. Now this manger is yelling, cursing and threatening me on a daily basis. I’m being told that if I don’t like it to get the F out.

Asked on July 5, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Workplace harassment can be illegal. It has to do with creating a workplace environment that is so hostile that it prevents an employee from performing  their job duties in a reasonable manner. This can happen when a superior or co-worker, by behavior, actions or both, creates an environment that is counterproductive to an employee's conducting their work duties. However, these behaviors must be "discriminatory" and not just a result of unprofessional or rude conduct. In an employment setting, discrimination is action taken against an employee because they are a member of a "protected class". That means their treatment must not be based their race, religion, disability, age (over 40), disability, nationality, sexual orientation, gender, etc). A hostile work enviornment also includes retaliatory action. Unfortunately, based on the facts presented, while this manager's behavior beyond unprofessional, it doesn'tt appear to give rise to an actionable claim. That is unless there is an employment contract or union/collective bargaining agreement to the contrary (or again if your situation was due to sdiscrimination).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption